Thursday, April 2, 2015

Division 3 Football's finest

      I was on the football field in high school.....during halftime in the marching band. So at first when I got the recommendation of Division 3 Football's finest by my friend Stephen I thought that perhaps it was a early April's fool joke as he added the comment "you will cry laughing". At first glance of the cover I wasn't sure I would  "cry laughing", but again I made a promise I would watch anything.

     Division 3 Football's finest  is not a bad comedy, but it is not one that you would find a typical review on. The premise, because this doesn't ruin anything, is a insane and crazy coach that crazy coaching techniques starts coaching the Division 3 College football team " Blue Cocks" ( pa ha)....but the hook is that if they don't win enough games, the football program will end. The coach, coach Vice, was even put on trial for attempting to kill an entire peewee football. The college president makes it clear that they hired him to increase publicity for the school, not to actually win any games.

     So imagine a coach riding a bicycle down the field chasing the players with a post, slamming it down into the players back. With every other word some swear or weird saying. Speaking of sayings..... his favorite is "GET SOME!" I'll have to admit I laughed a lot in this movie, a lot more then I honestly thought I would. Overall the money was a dumb comedy, but one with lots of laughs! Although he wasn't in it, I could definitely see a Will Ferrell character in this movie. There is one thing I look for in a comedy, even a dumb comedy.

     That one thing is some reason for it to be a dumb comedy. Some sort of explanation or real emotion. I was surprised after seeing  coach Vice being a ridiculous character for the most of movie, is back story actually decently explains it! He was an orphan and passed around foster families most of his life so he has only known abuse and  disappointment. His permanent  foster father was a football coach much like how he has become with the goal of uniting the team through a common hatred of him.Coach Vice just wants to be known and remembered for something. This makes it even more hilarious and meaningful when his one motivation for the team when they are losing their last game is " If you  don't give it all you'll regret it and most likely turn into me". The team runs out of the locker room after hearing this and makes a miraculous comeback. So overall I would suggest  this movie to people who want many laughs with not too much seriousness or reason!

1 comment:

  1. Crass language is easy to write, but strangely effective. That type of humor usually gets me, too, especially when it's juxtaposed with more politically correct character dialogue.

    ReplyDelete