Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A netflix experience: "The Square",

          My  netflix experience challenge started off with a movie  I never thought I would ever watch! My  idea is working! It is working so well I have a bunch of movies that I haven't seen that I can watch on netflix, as recommended by my wonderful facebook friends. So shout out to my friend Meaghan for being the first movie recommendation I took.

         If you knew my friend Meaghan, first we would probably have some very unique, weird stories to share about her, but you also wouldn't be surprised that she would recommend the DOCUMENTARY MOVIE, The Square. That is right this movie is a documentary.....not exactly what I had in mind when I asked for movie recommendation, but I did all my recommenders I would watch anything and boy am I glad I did!

       The Square  is a documentary on the Egyptian revolution that happened through 2011 and 2013....the struggle is still happening. The only real attention I paid to it at the time it was happening was the fact that dear friend Meaghan I mentioned couldn't go to Egypt because of it. I also heard that the revolutionaries were using youtube and other social medias to spread their message along with truth behind the brutality. That was it, nothing important or life changing to me, I knew it was a big deal just not to a high school kid in the U.S.

       I don't want to get into all of the information or scenes that you see in the documentary but I will tell you that it is very well done. There are moments that capture the importance of acting in the moment, but also how these sit-in take a long time too. The real, uncut scenes that it showed were emotional powerful and eye-opening to the oppression seen in Egypt. Two of the main people in the film actually get injured throughout it, It showed the unity of all Egyptians and the breakdown of that unity that occurred through the revolution.  They fought for Egypt, for all Egyptians and the documentary clearly shows that. The one thing that I did not like is that it ended with conflict still happening, ending with the idea that they will not know if this revolution was a success until 10 or so years down the road, but I think that was part of the eye opening experience. I would recommend this documentary anyone and actually thinking watching on netflix made it a better experience, next time I would definitely want to watch it with someone else though!







1 comment:

  1. I have certain views about this. It's great that those people have tools to achieve freedom and are using them, but I fear the film may be one-sided, or rather, trying to push a particular narrative.

    ReplyDelete